Fixing Broken Furnaces in Park Falls and Phillips Since 2012
Are parts of your home unnaturally chilly? Is there something banging and groaning behind your walls in the middle of the night? Before you call the Ghostbusters, it might be a good idea to reach out to a local furnace repair company. These signs are often experienced by people with a heating problem. And, in most cases, they can be solved by an experienced HVAC technician. To learn more about furnaces and what it takes to fix them, read on.
Give us a call at (715) 339-6060 to schedule heating repair in the Phillips and Park Falls area.
Signs Your Furnace Has a Problem
There are times when something goes wrong in the heating process. Though this sometimes leads to an obvious problem—a complete furnace breakdown—this isn’t always the case. Much of the time, the signs you need to call a Park Falls HVAC contractor are much more subtle. To prevent big problems from snowballing into larger ones, it’s important to be on the lookout for the following:
- Weird Smells: When you first turn your furnace on for the year, you might notice a musty smell. This is typically dust burning off that settled over the months your furnace sat idle. This will dissipate as the unit operates and isn’t anything to be concerned about. If you notice an odor that suddenly appears or refuses to go away, however, it’s time to call a Park Falls HVAC professional.
- Odd Noises: Is your furnace banging or making some other kind of noise? This can be the result of numerous issues with the unit and is best diagnosed by a heating repair expert. Call (715) 339-6060 to schedule a furnace repair in Park Falls and Phillips .
- More Service Calls: Every furnace in the Phillips or Park Falls area will have a part fail and need service in its life. In fact, one out of four people in the US will have an HVAC technician in their home each year. But if you’re making multiple calls in a heating season, it’s a sign you’ve been propping up a system that is aging out. Note that service calls don’t include preventative furnace maintenance visits.
- Climbing Utility Bills: There are many reasons your electric or gas bills can rise. Cooler temperatures are an obvious reason. But, if your fuel usage suddenly increases dramatically, you probably should have our Park Falls HVAC experts take a look. This increased cost often indicates a furnace that's being pushed past its limit.
- Visual Rust: While some amount of rust is expected with age, excessive amounts—especially on the flue—can be a sign of improper venting. If a roof or plumbing leak is causing furnace corrosion, it’s not just an eyesore. It can be dangerous. If the system rusts through to the heat exchanger, your home could be contaminated with deadly carbon monoxide. So, if you notice an issue with furnace rust, give Northern Comfort Systems Specialists, LLC a call.
- Frequent Cycling: If your furnace is constantly flicking on and off, there’s something stopping the unit from working properly. Unfortunately, this can be difficult to diagnose due to a variety of potential causes. To get the problem located and fixed quickly, rely on our Park Falls heating repair experts.
- Start-Up Problems: Does your furnace not turn on when it drops below the indicated temperature on your thermostat? Are you hearing clicking noises on start-up? These issues often signal an upcoming furnace breakdown. So, if you ever notice them, reach out to Northern Comfort Systems Specialists, LLC by phone or form.
Fortunately, no matter the scope or size of the problem, Northern Comfort Systems Specialists, LLC can handle your furnace repair. Though we do most of our work in Prentice, Phillips, and Park Falls, we are also well known and trusted throughout the surrounding areas.
The Top 5 Causes of Furnace Failure
It’s important that homeowners understand what parts of their furnace are most likely to fail. This can better prepare them to communicate with us about their heating problems. When fixing heating systems in Park Falls, we often find the following culprits, some of which can save you a service call:
- Clogged Filters: When was the last time you swapped out your furnace filter? If the answer is more than a few weeks ago, it might be time to check it, especially if you have pets. When running, your heating system pulls in dust, dander, and dirt. This is kept out of the mechanical parts by your furnace filter. A clogged filter restricts airflow, making your heating system work harder. Replacing it not only helps efficiency, but also improves air quality.
- Bad Thermostats: Your thermostat is responsible for signaling your furnace when to turn off and on to maintain the set temperature. If it’s not working properly, you’ll struggle to get warm. For instances where the thermostat may be at fault, make sure its batteries are good, if it uses any. Also, double-check that it is set to HEAT with the run method on AUTO.
- Ignition Failure: Sometimes the pilot light or surface ignitor will fail and refuse to light the burners. If this happens your furnace won’t be able to heat the air, leaving you in the cold. To prevent this, have it checked and cleaned regularly by an Park Falls-area HVAC professional. If it's the middle of winter, though, just give our Park Falls HVAC contractors a call at (715) 339-6060 instead.
- Exhaust Blower Issues: The furnace exhaust blower is what takes the combustion gasses out of the heat exchanger and vents it safely outdoors. If this component fails, the furnace will cycle on and off or shut down. Regular inspections and maintenance visits can prevent this from happening.
- Blower Motor Failure: The blower motor is essentially what keeps the air moving around your home. Should this component fail, it doesn’t matter how efficient your furnace is, the hot air won’t be distributed around your home. The blower can fail from overheating or from it becoming clogged with debris. Have your ducts cleaned and your furnace tuned up to keep the blower working effectively.
- Bad Heat Exchanger: The heat exchanger is one of the most important components of a conventional furnace. It is the component that safely transfers heat from the flame into heated air that is circulated in the home. When the heat exchanger develops holes or cracks, replacing it can be quite expensive. Some people prefer to simply replace their furnace. An expert evaluating your system can best advise you. If the stress on your heat exchanger is due to excess cycling due to having too large of a furnace, only replacing the heat exchanger will result in the same problem developing again.
Trust Us to Tackle Your Furnace Problems in Park Falls or Phillips
When it comes to furnace repair in Park Falls or Prentice, we know you have plenty of HVAC companies to choose from. However, not all of them are equal.
When you need your furnace repaired or replaced, trust the experts at Northern Comfort Systems Specialists, LLC! As our long list of happy customers shows, many of your neighbors already do! With 11 years of experience helping people in the Park Falls area, we have the know-how necessary to fix your broken furnace or replace the old one. No matter what you need, our company has well-defined services and procedures to ensure the job's done right. In other words, when it comes to furnace repair, you can always count on Northern Comfort Systems Specialists, LLC for quality products and workmanship. Contact us today to schedule your furnace repair in Park Falls.